Ah, I need your guys' input! Wait, or right away??
Okay, perhaps I should explain. :)
This morning I was casually browsing craigslist, and saw THIS ad.
"hi - I adopted a great small/medium sized dog to be my companion/service dog. I don't have the strength I used to have to socialize him and it seems he has suffered some trauma in an earlier situation that makes him go a bit loo loo in public. I have a don't pull harness, a gentle leader head collar, I need a generous, gentle, positive reinforcement type trainer who will work this 2 yr. old terrier guy - although he is amazingly calm in the house, he needs exercise (duh) but training not to react to other dogs or people so that I can then take him into public situations to continue his training/lifestyle. If you think you may be the one to help me please get in touch. Thanks"
I've been emailing her today, and she says she basically needs someone to take her dog for 1 or 2 months and just get it used to public places, dogs, and people. Sounds a bit like puppy raising, doesn't it?? :) I would just get him to the point where he could pass the Public Access Test.
Anyway, I need your guys' opinion...Should I help this gal out with her dog and THEN get another pup from GDA, or should I just get a puppy from GDA? It feels like this is from God...I mean, come on...The morning after my parents told me I could raise again I just happened to see this ad. She seems like she definitely wants me to do it...So...Thoughts??? Ooh, also, another pro to taking this would be that I can't make it to any puppy meetings (except for the big Christmas one) until February. I would not like to have a puppy from GDA without going to puppy meetings...I did that with Blitz, and it was not a pleasant experience. It would be even worse with a young pup.
What'dya think??
Sunday, November 16, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




9 comments:
Exciting to get to raise again! You should do whatever feels right to you... but here's my two cents: Socializing an undersocialized/traumatized 2 year old dog is not going to be a quick process. The dog sounds highly reactive so I would have concerns that it has some pretty serious issues :( I know my case was extreme, but I adopted an undersocialized/traumatized dog when she was 1 year old and it took about 4 years to get her to the point of almost passing as a normal dog, but even so I had to manage her very carefully in public type situations and could never in a million years have turned her into a service dog. There is a reason we start with young puppies.
But with that said, maybe this dog really isn't too bad and you could have a really positive impact on this woman's life by helping!
What I would do: I would go with GDA, I know with experiance that working with a dog that is older, and may have trauma is very difficult.I think it may be more favorable with your parents if you start from scratch.
Its eaiser to mold a puppy to your lifestyle etc..etc..
And that is just what I would do. Good Luck!
That's SOOOOO awesome that you get to raise again. YAY! :)
I'm not sure what to do about the situation. I would probably go with GDA, but that's just crazy ol' me. ;) It would be a good idea to take the oppurtunity to get a puppy while your parents are saying yes. Then again, helping this person could be a great experience for you, her, and the dog. So whatever feels right to you, you should go for.
Oh, and I hope it's not too smoky down there. Fires are no fun. :( GDA and of course all of my SoCal friends are in my thoughts!
Yay! I am SO excited for you. Perhaps we'll get littermates? Although helping this woman seems like a wonderful thing to do, I would go with GDA. However, that is a very personal choice and I know that you will make the one that is best for you :). Maybe you can ask to get a puppy once your schedule clears up?
I am so excited for you that you get to raise again, but I agree with everyone else though, stick with GDA. Like Emily said it is SO hard to work with an older traumatized dog, I used to help with a puppy class at a vets office I worked at and we had a special class for "rescue dogs with issues" I was so pleased that these people would adopt a dog with some social issues. They are wonderful for giving these dogs a chance and a home. But I would not in a million years sign any of them up to be a service dog. Some of them we were able to work with and some we just couldn't. But none got to a point where they were really reliable and I would hate to deal with them in public.
I think that is it wonderful that you want to help this lady. But I myself would stick with GDA. Like Emily said "There is a reason we start with young puppies" :)
Kasey how do your parents think about bringing in this other dog compared to a GDA dog where you have the GDA family to help you?
I think I would go with a GDA puppy over a unknow dog with issues.
I'm going to try commenting again as it hasn't let me every other time I try. Let's hope this works. I agree with everyone else. I would go with GDA. Everyone else has already said such great points and I'd just be reitterating them. Can't wait to hear what you decide!
First off, that's great your parents decided to let you raise again!! I agree with everyone else, GDA would be my route.
Kasey, I think you should offer to help this lady on the side but go with the what you know which is the GDA puppy. You just don't know what your walking into. GDA fails a lot of dogs for much less of a reason than this lady is experiencing. The Terrier's I've known can be a real handfull.
Good luck.
Post a Comment