Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Quirky Blitz

Yes, it is now my turn to tell of all the quirks my pup has.

  1. Snoring. Yes, Blitz snores. When he's awake. He'll just sit there, staring and snoring. Especially when he's hungry. I've asked some littermates, and apparently both Ella and Andie do the same thing.
  2. Blitz will not run if he's on leash. He runs and does "lab laps" without it on, but if it's on...No way. This is terribly inconvenient when I'm in a hurry.
  3. Blitz eats every day at 5 o'clock. So, everyday from about 4:30 'til I feed him, he follows me around, snoring and staring.
  4. Blitz LOVES my brothers, and their bed, which is just a mattress on the floor. (It's a bunkbed, but the bottom bunk is on the floor.) He doesn't see any difference between a dog bed and this, so I often find him sleeping on it. He doesn't get on the normal furniture, but I've been trying to break him of this. So, I'll be looking for him, he'll know it, and sneak out of the bedroom and go lie somewhere else. He thinks I don't know he does it, but I do.
  5. Blitz hates the run around games, he likes stationary wrestling, so if the other dog is wearing a leash, he grabs it in his teeth and keeps the dog from running. If it's a small dog with a tail, he'll grab that.
  6. When there are kiddy pools, Blitz will pick one and just run in circles in it, splashing as much water with his snout as possible. Unless I tell him to go to the other pools, in which case he'll pick a new one and stay there.
  7. Blitz understands what "go away" means, though I didn't teach it to him. He also understands "go to your room."
  8. Blitz has never jumped up on anyone or onto furniture. So I don't even know if he knows it's wrong. I've never had the chance to teach him not to.
  9. He doesn't seem to understand dogs who bark a lot. He just looks at them funny when we're passing by a house with barky dogs.
  10. Added: Blitz is vocal, but not barky-vocal. He will mimic baby talk. Like, I'll be hugging him talking baby talk, and he'll shove his nose into my stomache and start mimicing what I'm doing, influctuating exactly how I was!

I'll add more when I think of them. :)

We also had quite the scare this past weekend. (No, don't worry, nothing happened to Blitz.) I was dogsitting a chocolate lab named Sienna, and on Monday I noticed she had a bump on her cheek, the size of a golf ball, that was all bloody. It was completely out of nowhere...I can only assume it came somewhere during the night, and that she was scratching at it. We called her owners, and they asked us to take her to the vet the next day, Tuesday. We ran to the petstore for an E-collar for the time being.

We were SO scared it was cancer or something...She's 10 and has had cancer before. She also wasn't eating and was dry gagging/throwing up. Turns out it was just a hot spot, due to stress, she wasn't eating because she was stressed being in a new environment, and was throwing up for the same reason.

I felt awful because all this happened to her in my care, and they felt awful because she caused so much trouble. But really, I'm just happy she's okay. She's REALLY sweet. The e-collar has kept her away from it, and the vet gave a spray and some antibiotics, and shaved around it. So, she's doing a lot better now, especially since she's with her family now.

And I can now breathe. I was so worried she would die. I would feel awful having a dog die in my care. :(

5 comments:

Nicole and Vito said...

lol! I wish Vito didn't know what furniture was! Whenever I'm on my bed we'll battle for 5 minutes or so. He will put his front paws on, I tell him off, he gets off. This repeats 15 seconds later! I'm so glad he doesn't comprehend jumping on furniture yet...he just tries and climbs.

Natalie said...

Ahhh! Scary, but glad she is okay now and that it wasn't cancer!

We have one of those little kiddy chairs that just sit on the floor and don't have legs, and Petey would just wander over and sit his butt down on it with his front legs still on the floor haha
It took me awhile to decide whether or not that was actual furniture :P

Elizabeth and Peyton said...

Funny quirks. :) So glad that Sienna is okay. It would have been terrible if something had happened, even if it was out of your control.

Kelsey, Keno, Mallory, and Chappelle said...

Blitz sounds like such a smart and funny guy! :D I love the baby talking one, and the sneaky bed. Haha.

I'm so glad Sienna is ok! How scary.

Jake and Joanna said...

aww, bliz. I love you. :)

I don't know if Camry will be going to the pool party on Wednesday. I am sure she'd be okay, but she's been apprehensive about going on walks or walking much at all. So, I'm nervous to take her where she would run around and not stop, even if her paws are hurting. I will be going though! I will either have Belle, or Camry! we'll see!