Hey guys! My Mr. Man will be a year old in just a month! I can't believe it! It seems like yesterday that I picked him up.
Hey, I need some help with a big decision. First off, I need to tell you that we recently found out that Morgan, my little brother, is allergic to dogs, and it's affecting his vision. We don't need to do anything drastic on that part...Just be alot more careful about dog hair with Blitz, and hopefully raise a doodle next time. But what I'm trying to decide right now, is if I should raise for CCI or not. Don't get me wrong...I absolutely LOVE GDA. But CCI is geared more towards what I want to get into. I might even want to have a career at CCI. Ever since I started puppy raising, I've known that I want to do SOMETHING with service dogs, but recently I've realized that I love working with children (Particularly special needs children) just as much. CCI isn't ALL children, but I think I would also enjoy that mixture of people. Anyway, if I raise for CCI I won't be able to get a doodle, (At least, I don't think. I haven't seen anything that mentions the use of doodles) and therefore would have the work cut out for me when it comes to hair and keeping the dog out of Morgans room and Morgan out of my room, but I would also be getting in on the "inner-ring," as Lewis would say, and I would have a better chance of getting a job there when it's time. If I do raise for them, I would try to get a job as an Instructors Assistant (http://cci.org/national/jobads/IA_program_details.html) when I'm old enough, and then try to become an Apprentice Instructor. I would just have alot easier of a time getting in as a puppy raiser for them than some random stranger no one's ever heard of. I might still be able to attend GDA puppy meetings, and I would definately still go to graduations and the annual open house, and try to go to some fund-raisers, but I would still miss it. I was looking at CCI, and the closest chapter they have is in LA, so I probably wouldn't be able to get very socially involved there, but I would still have GDA.
Anyway, PLEASE comment and let me know. If I decide to, I'll probably apply sometime in the next three months...Which goes to show just how short a time I have left with Blitz! So sad!
Sunday, February 10, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




5 comments:
Both are great organizations. That helped narrow it down didn't it? HA! :) Good luck.
It is fun to learn service commands though. But, it's also nice to be able to use guide commands.
Good luck with the dog hair and keeping your brother healthy too! :)
I do have to say that doodles do shed quite a lot
That's a tough decision to make, but it never hurts to plan for the future, and if you think that you really want to pursue a career at CCI, then I would say go for it, and raising for them would help you get there faster.
Although I can definitely see how hard it would be for you to leave GDA. Good luck!
aww, Kasey!!!! Speaking as un-biased as possible, I think they're both great schools. I was really close to raising for CCI a few years ago, but there were just a few rules that I couldn't live with, so I decied to stay with GDA. However, if I was more interested in becoming a service dog trainer, I think it's really important you got used to training a service dog, even if it's as a puppy in training. So, if that's what you want, I'd definitely go for CCI.
Also, the goldendoodle I raised, Chandler, didn't shed at ALL, which was really nice!!!! I've heard some do shed, but not a lot, so that's good. However, I'm not sure if doodles are continuing at GDA. :( But don't quote me on that!
I've heard really good things about CCI and I'm considering raising for them myself.
@Joanna and Camry, what rules at CCI couldn't you live without?
Post a Comment